As a national key university funded by the Henan Provincial Government and the State Ministry of Education, Zhengzhou University was founded through the merger of three universities: former Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou University of Technology, and Henan Medical University. ZZU offers quite several full scholarships and partial scholarships. There are several financial sources available at Zhengzhou University to support international students from all over the world to study and research at Zhengzhou University.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship
Chinese Government Scholarship consists of several types, such as university programs, bilateral programs, and others.
The university program of Chinese Government Scholarship in Zhengzhou University is only for selected subjects with very limited seats, and applicants are supposed to contact a supervisor first.
2. Confucius Institute Scholarship
The Confucius Institute Scholarship Program was established by Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters to encourage students and Chinese language teachers all over the world to study Chinese or conduct research regarding the Chinese language and culture in China.
Ⅰ. Scholarship Categories
The Plan consists of two subprograms:
(1) Scholarship for Students with Master's Degrees in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
(2) Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Students
Ⅱ. Eligibility Criteria
(1) Non-Chinese citizens
(2) Aged between 18-35 (MTCSOL applicants shall be aged 18-45)
Ⅲ. Language Requirements (Based on Scholarship Category)
One-year applicants must have at least 60 hours of Chinese study or an HSK 2 score of at least 120 MTCSOL applicants must have a bachelor’s degree, a score of at least 180 on the HSK level 5, and must make a written commitment stating that he/she will be engaged in Chinese language teaching for at least 5 years after graduation.
Ⅳ. Supported Majors
One-year scholarships support the study of Chinese language and literature and Chinese history. MTCSOL scholarships support a two-year master’s degree program which results in a graduate diploma and a certificate in MTCSOL.
Ⅴ. Application Time
3. Henan Government Scholarship
Henan Provincial Government Scholarship is a provincial scholarship established by the Government of Henan Province to support provincial universities to recruit outstanding international students and scholars for degree programs and non-degree programs in Henan province.
Ⅰ. Supporting Categories, Coverage & Standard, Duration
|Supporting Categories||Coverage & Standard||Duration|
|Doctor Program||CNY 40,000 per year||4 years|
|Master Program||The tuition only
(with the maximum of 30,000 RMB, applicants have to pay the rest if tuition is more than 30,000 )
|No more than 3 years|
|Bachelor Program||CNY 15,000 per year||4 years
(Medical Program no more than 6 years)
|Pre-degree Program||CNY 10,000 per year||Less than than 1 years|
|Chinese Language Program||
CNY 5,000 per semester
|No more than 1 year|
|General Scholar Program||CNY 5,000 per semester
CNY 10,000 per year
|No more than 1 year|
|Advanced Scholar Program||CNY 5,000 per semester
CNY 10,000 per year
|No more than 1 year|
|Research Scholar Program||CNY 5,000 per semester
CNY 10,000 per year
|No more than 1 year|
Ⅱ. Scholarship Coverage
The scholarship will be used to cover tuition (including the internship fee). If the scholarship cannot cover the tuition, applicants are expected to pay the rest part. Otherwise, the scholarship will be automatically canceled.
Ⅲ. When to Apply
the deadline for submission is May 31.
(1) Applicant shall be a non-Chinese citizen, healthy, and without any criminal records.
(2) Abide by Chinese laws, regulations, and university regulations.
(3) Have a good attitude toward learning, and have obtained good achievements in their previous studies.
a. Applicants for pre-degree and undergraduate programs must hold a high school diploma, and the maximum age is 25.
b. Applicants for the master’s program must hold a bachelor's degree, and the maximum age is 35.
c. Applicants for the doctoral program must hold a master's degree, and the maximum age is 45.
d. Applicants for the Chinese language program must hold a high school diploma, and the maximum age is 55.
e. Applicants for the general scholar program must be sophomores or above or bachelor’s degree holders, and the maximum age is 30.
f. Applicants for the advanced scholar program must be master’s students or above or master’s degree holders, and the maximum age is 40.
g. Applicants for the research scholar program must be a doctoral degree holder or above or holds associate professor or above, and the maximum age is 50.
(5) Language Proficiency Requirement：
a. For programs instructed in Chinese, applicants should be proficient in the Chinese language, with an HSK test report.
b. For programs instructed in English, applicants of non-native English-speaker should provide their IELTS or TOEFL test report.
c. For programs instructed in English, applicants from English-speaking countries must provide English scores.
d. For admission to Chinese language programs, applicants are not required to have prior knowledge of the Chinese language.
Ⅴ. Application Documents
Applicants must complete and submit authentic application documents listed below：
(1) Henan Government Scholarship Application Form, filled in Chinese or English. (Please check the attachment)
(2) Certified certificate or notarized copy of highest diploma(if the applicant is a student or working, they should submit a student certificate or employment certificate). Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized copies of the translation in either of these two languages.
(3) Applicants for diploma or degree programs should provide the original transcripts of their previous studies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized copies of the translation in either of these two languages.
(4) Applicants for bachelor’s programs (general scholars programs), master’s programs (advanced scholars programs), and doctoral programs (research scholars programs) must provide a study plan or research proposal in Chinese or English with a minimum of 500 words, 1000 words, and 2000 words respectively.
(5) Applicants for master’s programs (advanced scholars programs), and doctoral programs (research scholars programs) must provide two recommendation letters in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors.
(6) Applicants for music studies, fine arts studies, and other art-related programs are requested to submit original work according to the school requirements.
(7) Official recognized report of Chinese or English language proficiency tests or equivalent language ability certificate.
(8) Certified certificates or notarized copies of the Physical Examination Record for Foreigner and Blood Test Report completed in Chinese or English.
(9) Certified certificate or notarized copy of the non-criminal record. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized copies of the translation in either of these two languages.
(10) If the applicants are under the age of 18, a Letter of Authorization or Guardian Book in China authorized by Chinese embassies in other countries must be submitted.
(11) Pre-admission notice.
Note： The above documents should be in duplicate. The documents will not be returned whether the application is successful or not.
4. University Scholarships for Excellent International Students
To attract excellent international candidates to pursue their degree study in China, Zhengzhou University establishes "Zhengzhou University Scholarships for Excellent International Students ".
Ⅰ. The Scheme of Zhengzhou University Scholarships for Excellent International Students
|Number||Scholarship Type||Value of the Scholarship||Duration||Size|
|1||First Rank||One-time subsidy of CNY 12,000||One year non-renewable||top 2% of the batch|
|2||Second Rank||One-time subsidy of CNY 8,000||One year non-renewable||top 3%of the batch|
|3||Third Rank||One-time subsidy of CNY 5,000||One year non-renewable||top 5%of the batch|
|4||Specialties||One-time subsidy of CNY 3,000||One time|
Ⅱ. Qualification and Prerequisite
1. International students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs, with a study period of more than one year (including one year) can apply for this scholarship. International students with Chinese government scholarships or students in their extended study period cannot apply for this scholarship.
2. All applicants should strictly abide by the laws and regulations of the Chinese government & the rules of Zhengzhou University, participate in school and social welfare and activities actively, and behave well in their daily life.
3. All applicants should excel in their academic performances. They should accomplish all compulsory and elective courses with outstanding results in the top 30%.
4. For undergraduate applicants, they should study hard with clear learning objectives and class attendance of more than 90%; and the total courses chosen for each semester should be four or more.
5. For postgraduate applicants, should accomplish:
Win the third or higher prize in a national or international competition, or. Publish at least one academic article in eminent national or international journals cited in SCI, EI, ISTP, A & HCI, or CSSCI, or publish one academic book.
6. Students of the following types can not apply for this scholarship:
Violating the relevant provisions of entry-exit administration with punishment;
Infringement of social morality with the harmful effect;
Serious violation of school rules;
Cheating and other prohibited acts in the examination;
Bullying and violence;
Other misconducts with punishment more than warning;
Having not paid the tuition or accommodation fee.
5. Zhengzhou University President Scholarship
To enhance international exchange & cooperation and attract excellent international students to study at Zhengzhou University, the President Scholarship (hereinafter referred to as the scholarship ) has been set up to sponsor excellent international postgraduate students to pursue their degree, especially the doctorate, in Zhengzhou University. The duration of the scholarship is 4 years. The coverage of the scholarship is shown in the following.
Ⅰ. Supporting Category and Duration
|Program||Duration of Program||Duration of Scholarship|
|Doctor||4 academic years||4 academic years|
Ⅱ. Coverage and Standard
|Doctor||Full tuition||CNY 1000/month||CNY 3,500/month|
Ⅲ. Time of Application
There are two intakes each year, March and September intake. The application season for March intake is: From October 15 to December 15 of the previous year. For September intake the application season is: From March 1st to June 15.
1. Non-Chinese citizen, physically healthy, without crime record;
2. Abide by the laws and regulations of the People's Republic of China as well as the regulations of ZZU;
3. Good learning attitude and with a solid academic foundation and intellectual potential to become a highly specialized researcher or expert.
4. Applicants must not be registered Ph.D. students in Chinese universities at the time of application.
5. Requirements for applicant's degree and age:
Applicants for the doctoral program should have an excellent academic record in a master’s program (for Pakistan applicants, should be 18 years master’s) or a higher degree or equivalent degree, and aged less than 40 years old;
6. Requirements for applicant's language competence:
1) Applicants for doctoral programs in Chinese should be HSK 5 and score 210 ;
2) Applicants for doctoral programs in English should be IELTS 6.5 or higher if they are from non-English speaking countries.
ZZU has cultivated an active academic atmosphere and established a good mechanism for extensive exchange and cooperation. If you are interested to study at this University, feel free to contact our consultants or to leave your application through CUCAS.