East China Normal University (ECNU) is a public research university located in Shanghai, China. East China Normal University was the first national university dedicated to teacher education in the People's Republic of China, as suggested in the name "Normal", and later evolved into a comprehensive research university. The university is sponsored by the national programs “Project 211” and “Project 985”.
1. Shanghai Government Scholarship
Shanghai Municipal Government Scholarship (SGS) was established in 2006 to enhance the development of international student education in Shanghai and encourage more and more outstanding international students and scholars to ECNU.
1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens and in good health.
2) Education background and age limit:
a. Applicants for the pre-college program must have a high school diploma and be under 23.
b. Applicants for undergraduate programs must have a high school diploma and be under 25.
c. Applicants for the master's program must have a bachelor's degree and be under 35.
d. Applicants for doctoral programs must have a master's degree and be under 40.
3) Students that have won the Chinese Government Scholarship or any scholarship offered by other organizations are not entitled to apply for SGS.
Ⅲ. Application Deadline
May 15th, 2023
Ⅳ. Scholarship Coverage
Type A: Full Scholarship
For the bachelor program: Tuition, Accommodation, Insurance fee, monthly allowance of 2500 RMB
For the master program: Tuition, Accommodation, Insurance fee, monthly allowance of 3000 RMB
For the Ph.D. program: Tuition, Accommodation, Insurance fee, monthly allowance of 3500 RMB
Type B: Partial Scholarship
1. Not for majors of School of International Chinese Studies or Asia-Europe Business School (English-taught BBA programs)(for bachelor)
2. Not for Master of International Business (Double Major) or Master of Business Administration (Chinese Taught)(for master)
2. Excellent Freshmen Scholarship
ECNU set up the ”Excellent Freshman Scholarship” for the first time to encourage outstanding overseas students pursuing their bachelor’s degree at East China Normal University.
Ⅰ. Admission object:
1) Those who graduate from high school or above with a valid foreign passport.
2) Only open to full-time undergraduate program applicants.
1) Applicant should have obtained an HSK-5 certificate with a score of 180 or above.
2) Excellent high school performance is a must.
3) The winner of all major competitions in China or abroad is preferred.
4) Applicants should not enjoy any other type of scholarship or fellowship at the same time.
Ⅲ. Scholarship Coverage
The university will provide the scholarship winners a living allowance of 2500RMB/month for 12 months of the first academic year.
Note: This scholarship does not provide exemptions from tuition.
Ⅳ. Application Requirements
1. High school diploma and transcript
a. The original one must be in Chinese or English with official stamps of the high school or authorized educational institute or a notarized copy in a notarized Chinese or English translation.
b. Graduating students should provide official proof of graduation for the time being.
2. HSK certificate (photocopy)
3. The winner of all major competitions in China or abroad should submit the certificate or copy of the award.
4. Passport (photocopy)
5. Study plan and personal statement
6. Non-criminal Certificate (notarized photocopy in English or Chinese)
7. Effective Health Certificate(within 6 months)
3. International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship
a) Non-Chinese citizens.
b) In good Physical and mental condition, well performed both academically and behaviorally.
c) Aspired to take future careers in the teaching or international promotion of the Chinese language.
d) Age limit
1) For bachelor: aged below 25.
2) For master’s and Ph.D.: Between the ages of 16-35 on September 1st, 2023. Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not exceed the age limit of 45.
e) Academic requirements
1) For bachelor: Applicant should hold a high school diploma or above and own a minimum score of 210 on HSK Test (Level 4) and 60 in HSKK (Intermediate Level).
2) For the master: Applicants shall be Bachelor degree holders, and have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 in the HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Applicants who can provide a notarized document of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing study in China are preferred.
3) For Ph.D.: Applicants shall be Master’s degree holders with majors related to TCSOL, linguistics, International Chinese Education, Education, and so on, and have a minimum score of 200 on the HSK Test (Level 6) as well as 60 in HSKK test (High Level). Applicants who can provide a notarized document of the employment agreement or related proofs upon completing study in China are preferred.
Ⅱ. Scholarship Coverage
(Tuition, Accommodation, Insurance fee, monthly allowance 2500 RMB)
(Exempt from Tuition Fee and on-campus Accommodation Fee; including comprehensive Insurance and Monthly Stipend of 3000 RMB)
(Exempt from Tuition Fee and on-campus Accommodation Fee; including comprehensive Insurance and Monthly Stipend)
Monthly Stipend：3500 RMB/Month
Ⅲ. Application deadline
May 15, 2023
Ⅳ. Application Documents
1) Application Form for International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship filled in Chinese or English and generated by online application.
2) Copy of the passport
3) Highest diploma (original or notarized photocopy): Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
4) Academic transcripts (original or notarized photocopy): Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
5) A study or research plan. All applicants are required to submit a study or research plan. It must be in Chinese or English and no less than 800 words.
6) Recommendation letters from recommending Institutions
7) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (The original copy should be kept by the applicant.) The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Please select the appropriate time to take a medical examination as it is valid for only 6 months.
8) HSK & HSKK (the Chinese Proficiency Test) Certificate (Valid for 2 years).
9) Non-criminal Certificate (notarized photocopy in English or Chinese)
Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
4. Chinese Government scholarship
1) Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
2) Applicants who apply for a master's program should have a bachelor's degree and be under 35 years old.
3) Applicants who apply for doctoral programs should have a master’s degree and be under 40 years old.
Ⅱ. Scholarship Coverage
Exempt from tuition fees and accommodation on campus.
Stipend: Ph.D. 3500 RMB/month; Master 3000RMB/month.
Within the scholarship duration, registered scholarship students will receive a stipend from their host university each month. Students registering on or before the 15th of the month will receive a full stipend for that month. Those who register after the 15th of the month will receive a half stipend for that month. Graduating students will receive a stipend until half month after the graduation date. If a registered student stays out of China for more than 15 days due to a personal reason (school holidays excluded), his stipend will be stopped during his leave.
Provide comprehensive medical insurance.
Ⅲ. Instruction Language
Applicants for master’s and Ph.D. degrees, without adequate Chinese proficiency, should take Chinese language courses for one to two academic years to reach the language requirements of their host universities. This period of Chinese language study can be sponsored by CGS. Failure to reach the required language proficiency will lead to the automatic termination of the scholarship.
Scholarship recipients of the English-taught programs or those with adequate Chinese language proficiency do not need to take Chinese language courses.
Strong faculty members, advanced education facilities, rich campus culture, consummation logistics support, mature peripheral environment, gives you comfort and convenience to study at ECNU. We sincerely welcome all international students coming to study at ECNU.