Donghua University (DHU), formerly China Textile University, was founded in 1951. Its feature disciplines, such as Fashion Design, Textile Engineering, International Trade, Material Science, and Information Technology have received a high reputation both domestically and abroad. DHU is a multi-disciplinary university with a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs across a vast field of disciplines including engineering, economics, management, literature and art, laws, science, and education.
Ⅰ. Scholarship Type
1. Shanghai Government Scholarship
DHU has been appointed to accept international students with Shanghai Government Scholarship since 2006. Each year, DHU accepts about 40 Shanghai Government Scholarship students from all over the world to pursue undergraduate (bachelor’s) or postgraduate (master’s or doctoral) degrees.
1. Applicable Programs:
(1) Chinese-taught Bachelor’s Programs (except B.A. in Chinese Language)
(2) Master’s degree programs except for International Business (MIB) and Journalism & Communication (MJC)
(3) Doctoral degree programs
2. Scholarship Coverage:
Full Scholarship (Type A):
(1) a waiver of tuition fee
(2) free on-campus dormitory accommodation
(3) monthly stipend (bachelor's programs: 2500; master's programs: CNY 3000; doctoral programs: CNY3500)
(4) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students in China
Partial Scholarship (Type B):
(1) a waiver of tuition fee
(2) Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students in China
3. Schooling & Duration:
(1) Bachelor's degree programs: 4 years (might be extended for 1-year Chinese language study).
(2) Master’s degree programs: 2.5-3 years (might be extended for 1-year Chinese language study)
(3) Doctoral degree programs: 4 years (might be extended for 1-year Chinese language study)
The actual scholarship duration is subject to the information on Admission Notice, which cannot be extended in general.
4. Applicant Eligibility：
(1) Be a non-Chinese citizen in good health.
(2) Be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs.
(3) Be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs.
(4) Be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for bachelor's programs
(5) Be excellent in academic and extra-curricular performance and yet not be rewarded any other scholarships offered by the government, institutes, or organizations in China.
Application Deadline: March. 31 (fall intake only)
2. Chinese Government Scholarship
To enhance the Double First-Class construction of the colleges and universities, the Chinese Government Scholarship has set up a high-level postgraduate program, adopting the principle of individual application, institution recommendation, expert review, and merit-based admission to select international candidates with excellent academic background, professional ability, and future development potential studying for a master's or doctoral degree in Chinese universities.
Excellent international students applying for DHU’s master’s or doctoral degree (full-time academic degree)
- Applicable programs/majors
DHU’s master’s and doctoral academic degree programs are offered for the 2023 intake
- Academic duration:
3 years for a master's degree, 4 years for a doctoral degree
- Scholarship Coverage: full scholarship
During the above-mentioned academic duration: free tuition, free on-campus dorm fee, free comprehensive medical insurance fee, and provide a monthly stipend (RMB3,000/month for a master’s student, RMB3,500/month for a doctoral student).
Ⅱ. International Cooperation
Donghua University values international cooperation and exchanges. It has established cooperation with more than 100 famous universities, research centers, and enterprises all over the world. Since 1995, it successfully hosted the International Fashion Forum during the Shanghai International Fashion Culture Festival. Apart from the 83rd World Textile Conference, Donghua University has held many high-leveled international academic conferences such as International Academic Forum for Ph.D. Students on Textile Science & Engineering, the 25th International Data Engineering Conference, the 2009 American Fiber Society Conference, and International Conference on Environmental Science & Technology, etc.
Ⅲ. Featured Programs
The leading disciplines of Donghua University are Textile, Fashion, Materials, Trade, etc. Textile Science & Engineering, the state-key discipline, ranks No. 1 in the Assessment of First-level Discipline announced by China Academic Degrees & Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC).
2. Environmental Design: Fashion Interior Design(SCF)
3. Fashion & Accessory Design: Fashion Innovation(SCF)
4. Business Administration(CIP)
10. Visual Communication Design
11. International Economy & Trade
16. Information Management & Information System
19. Non-woven Materials & Engineering
4. Material Procession Engineering
5. Journalism & Communication (MJC)
7. Computer Science & Technology
8. Chemistry Engineering & Technology
9. Optical Engineering (New Energy Materials & Devices)
10. Information & Communication Engineering
11. Computer Science and Technology
16. Management Science & Engineering
17. Textile Materials & Textiles Design
18. Material Science
19. Material Physics & Chemistry
20. Nano Fibers & Hybrid Materials
21. Textile Chemistry & Dyeing & Finishing Engineering
22. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
25. Solid Mechanics
26. Chinese History
27. History of Science & Technology
28. Fashion Design & Engineering
29. Fine Arts
30. Artistic Theory
31. Design Studies
33. Biological & Biomimetic Materials
34. Functional & Intelligent Materials
36. Chemistry Engineering & Technology
3. Material Procession Engineering(College of Mechanical Engineering)
4. Material Physics & Chemistry
5. Nano Fibers & Hybrid Materials
6. Chemistry(College of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering)
7. Chemistry(College of Materials Sciences & Engineering)
10. Management Science & Engineering
12. Textile Materials & Textiles Design
13. Textile Chemistry & Dyeing & Finishing Engineering
14. Biological & Biomimetic Materials
15. History of Textile Technology
16. Control Science & Engineering
17. Information & Communication Intelligent System
18. Biological Materials Science
19. Environmental Science and Engineering
20. Enterprise Information Systems & Engineering
21. New Energy Materials & Devices
22. Functional & Intelligent Materials
24. Material Procession Engineering(College of Materials Science and Engineering)
26. Non-woven Materials & Engineering
27. Textile Industry & Scientific Socialism
28. Material Physics & Chemistry
29. Material Science
30. Material Procession Engineering(College of Mechanical Engineering)
31. Nano Fibers & Hybrid Materials
34. Control Science & Engineering
35. Information & Communication Intelligent System
36. Textile Chemistry & Dyeing & Finishing Engineering
37. Biological Materials Science
38. Environmental Science and Engineering
39. Enterprise Information Systems & Engineering
40. New Energy Materials & Devices
As early as 1954, DHU commenced accepting international students who were among the first group of overseas students enrolled by Chinese universities. Almost all undergraduate programs, postgraduate and research programs are open to international students. Besides, non-degree programs including Chinese language programs, Degree-Preparation programs, advanced study programs, and a variety of short-term programs are available to international students. Welcome international students to study at Donghua University.